Another question for elementary teachers

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 20:35:09 PDT

Concerning saving student work: I have a large shelf for each teacher and
keep all the student work and sketchbooks on the shelf. The work goes home
twice a year (usually right before Christmas and then at the end of the
year) We call it bag day and the kids really look forward to ( I explain the
procedure at the beginning of the year in a letter to parents informing them
about the art program so they know what to expect) I get large paper grocery
bags from a local store and the students decorate them with markers while
the work is being passed out. I ask them to choose one piece that they would
like displayed at the year end fine arts festival and it stays on the
shelf-all the rest goes home (clay pieces are wrapped in smaller plastice
bags with styrofoam peanuts) I send a letter explaining the projects for the
parents and they also look forward to "Bag Day" The big bags allow them to
stand their artwork up and it doesn't get all wrinkled. At the end of the
year , if the students have a new "favorite " piece , I let them switch it
out before I do the exhibit. Usually with kindergarten, I let them take work
home more often.
                 Jeryl
p.s. to my good friend , Susan , in Long Island, isn't it amazing how many
things we do similarly?? That reminds me, if there are any teachers out
there interested in an all expense paid trip to Japan for 3 weeks, you
should check out the web site
http://www.iie.org/Template.cfm?&Template=/programs/fmf/default.htm
 I learned about the program here on the artsednet from another art teacher
and Susan and I were both chosen
to travel to Japan last November. An incredible experience!!!!!
              Jeryl in SC

---