RE: Clay Relief Plaques -Egyptian Eyes photos

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 17:30:25 PDT

Hi! Yes, I baked the beads, but remember that Sculpey bakes at 250 degrees
(something like that), so they didn't suffer too much, although somebody used
some soft plastic beads and they melted quite nicely! I'll explain the whole
thing again here, all in one place. I'll let you come up with your own art
history, aesthetics, and criticism objectives- this is strictly the studio
part. Enjoy!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

EGYPTIAN EYES
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ppicasso26/lst?.dir=/egyptian+eyes&.view=t

Materials:
white Sculpey clay, colored Sculpey clay, small glass or plastic beads,
colored stones, small gems, bead wire, small milk straws, rolling pins,
plastic tools or knives, polyurethane (or suitable coating), matboard,
photocopy of the Eye of Horus (I handed out a black & white drawing)

Encounter:
1.Students are given the handout of the Eye of Horus and choose two colors of
Sculpey besides white. Sculpey will need to be kneaded to soften.
2. Using either balls or snakes, students fill in the black areas of the eye
and the eyelid using the two colors of Sculpey. (Leave the rest of the eye, to
be white,open). Press pieces together and smooth.
3. Roll out a 1/4" pancake of white Sculpey, large enough to fit the eye upon.
Peel the colored eye part off the paper and press on to the white pancake of
Sculpey. Using clay tool or plastic knofe, cut out around the eye. Now,
students have a thicker eye with the white showing through behind the pupil.
4. Using the milk straw, add a hole in the top corners of the eyelid.
5. Using the beads, add a design to the eyelid and/or the pupil.
6. The teacher bakes the eyes according to Sculpey packaging. The beads should
be fine, some may melt slightly.
7. While the eyes are baked, the students work on stringing the beads on wire
to be used to hang the eye; at least three strings per side, approx. 6-8"
long. Knot the ends (be sure to leave plenty of wire on each end so they may
be attached!).
8. When the eyes are baked and cooled, remove from cookie sheet. (They may
break if removed sooner! I took all of them home & baked them)Names are added
to back with permanent marker.
9. Cut a milk straw in half and place each half in the holes to keep them from
filling up. Coat the entire eye with polyurethane. (we placed them on an old
wooden board, spooned on the poly, and brushed it, so as to get a thick
coating- enough to cover the beading)
10. Allow to dry. Be sure not to let the eye adhere to the board- move it
periodically.
11. When dry, attach the strings of beads and mount on to matboard.

>===== Original Message From LeAnn Escoffre <lescoffre@chartermi.net> =====
>You baked the beads? What kind? I want to do something like this with my
>7th graders who are studying Egyptian art. Isin't the eye thing like the
>eye of Horaus? I need to brush up. I went through some stuff this
>weekend but there is never enough time anymore. Anyway the clay is
>basically rolled out into coils and for the white part of the eye there
>is no clay? Then adorn with beads? That just blows my mind with the bead
>thing. I have big fat beads and fear the smell of melting plastic.
>Anyway thanks for sharing such a cool lesson. The images are visually
>stunning. Just lovely..
>

>Le Ann Escoffre

---