Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Help! Maskmaking - elementary

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 15:31:13 PDT

Hi Krista,

Select a few cultures that appeal to you -- or select
just one. I usually focused on one culture at at time
when I taught masks. I did Mexican folk art masks --
Northwest Coast masks - and African masks (Western
Sudan region). (links for all of these cultures on IAD
- on the Masks lesson plans)

Do present the meanings of the masks you show your
students. For LOTS of images sources go to this Getty
You will find all sorts of links for mask images for
your students.

There are several mask making lesson plans on
Incredible Art Department.

Once you settle on a culture, I can give you links for
that specific culture if you wish. As you said - the
task is overwelming! I have hundreds and hundred of
links to pour through before I can put the masks links
page on IAD.

Here is one good site to get you started:

You could have the student create their own spirit
masks - what do they want to say about themselves?

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources