Re: Help! Maskmaking - elementary

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 15:31:13 PDT

Hi Krista,

Select a few cultures that appeal to you -- or select
just one. I usually focused on one culture at at time
when I taught masks. I did Mexican folk art masks --
Northwest Coast masks - and African masks (Western
Sudan region). (links for all of these cultures on IAD
- on the Masks lesson plans)

Do present the meanings of the masks you show your
students. For LOTS of images sources go to this Getty
archives:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Jun03/
You will find all sorts of links for mask images for
your students.

There are several mask making lesson plans on
Incredible Art Department.

Once you settle on a culture, I can give you links for
that specific culture if you wish. As you said - the
task is overwelming! I have hundreds and hundred of
links to pour through before I can put the masks links
page on IAD.

Here is one good site to get you started:
http://gallery.sjsu.edu/masks/menu.html

You could have the student create their own spirit
masks - what do they want to say about themselves?

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com