Re: george segal plaster projects

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 10:47:11 PDT

Deborah,

Sorry I can not help you with your lesson -- but I do
have two lessons on my site that looked at the work of
George Segal- AND involved having to do some reading:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7sculpt.htm
(I tied a lot of Art from teh 60's with this unit --
as well as contemporary art with text ---We didn't get
as much text added to the projects as I intended - but
I was satisfied with what the seventh graders did come
up with -- One student dealt with mourning the death
of a cousin who was killed by a drunk driver -- very
powerful words - good use of colors -- sorry,I don't
have a picture of that one - she took it home before I
got the photos done -- she had her reasons)

Sculpture Macquette - Heroes (or World issues -- Art
for Memorial - take your pick):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8figure.htm

Susan from Long Island has shared hers many times with
Getty list....let me know if you want that project
description, I can find it in a flash. Georgina may
have been reading in her pose - I can't remember now.

Here is another lesson for macquettes (Plaster People
- like minds I guess):
http://pirate.shu.edu/~kunzcour/plaster_people.htm

More lesson plans to tweak (no author name given):
http://pirate.shu.edu/~kunzcour/art_education.htm
I will be grabbing "Foot prints" for the shoe feature
(yes, bringing in Andy).

Check San Jose Museum of Art - let us know about this
unit:
Poetry and Prophecy
suggested grade(s): K-12
This resource book was developed in conjunction with
the exhibition Alternating Currents: American Art in
the Age of Technology Selections from the Permanent
Collection of the Whitney Museum of American Art. It
concentrates on artworks from the last 30 years that
alternately embrace, incorporate, critique, and
sometimes satirize the mechanics and technologies of
the post-industrial world. It includes slides of
artworks by Jenny Holzer, Pepon Osorio and George
Segal.
http://www.sjmusart.org/content/events/youth/teacher_list.phtml

I'd like to see you tie in Segal with art of the
Holocaust - I do have lots of links on that topic (if
you are interested)....or Art as memorial.

Deborah - Incredible Art Department whats to know what
you do (mail to Jdecker@woh.rr.com) -- send an image -
no lesson plan needed - maybe just a blurb from you on
what you did with your students.

DO let me know what web site you are talking about. I
will update this Internet lesson for your students:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/figure.htm

It would only take me one day lead time to get it
ready. I only update these pages if folks let me know
wthey need them.

Judith Decker

--- Dcoxslipcovers@aol.com wrote:
> could anyone point me to the web site who someone
> had posted with lesson for
> this?? one was a really cool site that incorporated
> a reading emphasis.
> it is late and I have a grant proposal due
> tomarrow.......trying to get it in
> last minute. Thanks for any help! Deborah

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com