Re: William Steig

---------

From: mak MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 10:51:51 PDT

I am so saddened deep in my heart to lose this fantastic contributor to
children's imaginations. And so thankful that we have his books -- forever
-- that children will be inspired by him always. I will update his info in
Storybook Art for the next printing. I didn't realize that we would lose him
so soon...Robert McCloskey too, just months ago. An aside: Mr. Steig wrote
me a thank you note for his copy of Storybook Art, and was "tickled" to be
included. I treasure his response, and even more so today. he was one of my
favorites. I can still remember my second graders' faces when Sylvester
became a rock, covered with snow, a wolf howling. They all knew that to be
away from parents this way was unbearable...and a happy ending! We, all of
us -- including second graders -- love happy endings! Thank you, Mr. Steig.
Travel well.

MaryAnn (sniff)

10/6/03 9:22 AM: Sears, Ellen~ESears@anchorage.k12.ky.us~

A sad note in the world of children's literature....author/illustrator
William Steig died last evening at the age of 95. He won the Caldecott
award in 1970 for Sylvester and the Magic Pebble and wrote Shrek, Abel's
Island, Brave Irene and Doctor DeSoto among others. (Those of us old enough
might remember the controversy of Sylvester and the Magic Pebble in which he
illustrated the police in the story as pigs. Steig always said he never
made that connection; he simply drew all the characters in the book as
animals and he just drew the police in the form of pigs. (In VIetnam era
U.S. some people didn't believe that and insisted it be removed from library
shelves). It survived all of that and is now a revered title in children's
literature history.

---
MaryAnn F. Kohl
Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.