Re: Some plaster projects

---------

From: jlb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 18:49:08 PDT

>How do you or others out there mix plaster with
>students? How do you deal with the dust? Do kids wear
>masks?

Hi Mary,
How's it going up there?
I mixed plaster in sculpture cups. You know the rubber ones? they work
just great because you can let leftovers dry in them and then squeeze
the cup to dump the leftovers. We mounded the plaster in the water just
till it formed a small mountain. I used old spoons to mix with. I've
also used an old plastic bowl that is squeezable and a wire whisk. This
is a supeer tool for mixing without so many lumps in the final mixture.
you can even let the leftovers dry in the whisk if you don't get to them
soon enough. The flexible wire allows you to break off the dried
plaster. As for the dust? I guess I just really cautioned my HSers. I
always supervised the mixing if I wasn't doing it myself. Only a few
students at a time were allowed to mix. Others were working on other
stuff. We did do some carving. Keeping the plaster pour damp in wrapped
plastic helps till the final smoothing process in sculpting.
Hope this helps,
Jeanne

---