Re: Some plaster projects

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 16:45:24 PDT

Hi Mary, I put the water into the plastic tub,( I use ice cream tubs that
parents donate) and then carefully pour the plaster in until it mounds above
the surface. Then I mix with my hand. I find that it is somewhat forgiving,
and if it isn't perfect, it still seems to work. We don't wear masks, but I
do not do plaster if other classes are doing clay- too much floating in the
air for me- and I'm sure for them. I mix the plaster, not the students,
although they watch me. but they scoop and pour into their molds or
whatever.My plaster looks a little like heavy cream, rather than , say,
pancake batter) We also work small. nothing big, and we don't carve it. My
room would not be able to handle that. I make sure that I clean the counter
well. We mix small batches at a time- so I usually have to mix a batch two
times depending on how big our molds are. I am elementary, so I want them to
know it's qualities, have something successful -which I can do without going
into a large piece. The students have poured it into plastic containers, (
those white paint cups), plastic lids, plasticene molds and sand. A long time
ago, I wanted my kinders to make dino fossils and we used dog biscuits- Don't
do that, the biscuits get moldy!! Live and learn.
Betsy