Re: HS art history project - Mystery of the masters

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 13:47:27 PDT

Ruth,

This brings to mind the "mystery of the masters" - How
did they get the perspective so perfect? Did they use
the camera obscura? David Hockney has done extensive
study on this - however I can not find that awesome
site that was posted. Does anyone have it?

Ruth - if you are interested this is what I did find
-I gave up looking fo rthat ultimate site.

From my post to ArtsEducators a while back:

I am looking for a site that was posted to Getty
ArtsEdNet a while back (some of you are on both
lists)... I have tried different searches to get
it to come up the Google - with no luck. I have tried
every Google search I could think of to get the site
to come up. It was very informative on the Painting
Arnolfini Wedding Portrait by Jan van Eyck. Had many
close ups of details....and explained Hockney's theory
on use of the camera Obscura...Please don't knock
yourself out searching - but maybe one of you saved
the link. Below are ones I found - none of the the
site. Site connected art - math - science.

From a message Patty Knot sent to me:

>> I am going to have them investigate David Hockney's
 exploration of the
use of optics by Renaissance artists and the
controversy that has ensued. None of the other's knew
anything about this and they were all amazed by the
connections -Science - Math - Art - Critical thinking.
 I'm going to have the kids read about Hockney's
theory, have them critically look at
Arnolfini's Wedding, compare and contrast to Hockney's
Beverly Hills Bedroom, experiment with convex mirrors,
and debate the question "Did the
Master's Cheat?" and so what?

"Was Jan van Eyck "confessing" when he painted the
image of a convex mirror in the Arnolfini Wedding
Portrait, and did the secret go undiscovered for
600 years?"

I'm looking now to see if I can find the link I had:
Here is a CBS 60 minutes report (not it):
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/16/60minutes/main536814.shtml
Was it done with Mirrors (printable):
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/16/60minutes/printable536814.shtml

Do Optics make art?
http://www.extralove.com/creative_overloadfun.html

NPR - Listen to Hockney - se some photos:
http://www.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2001/dec/hockney/011209.hockney.html

Charles Falco speaks on the topic:
http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/pa/newsbulletin/2003/01/28/text03.shtml

More on Falco:
http://www.uc.edu/news/falco2.htm

About Hockney's book Secret Knowledge - what prompted
his reserach etc:
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2001/09/30/story302233.asp

Art and Optics (this is good):
http://webexhibits.org/hockneyoptics/post/elkins.html
Look at all of the names linked at the top:
http://webexhibits.org/hockneyoptics/post/stork.html

Hockney - On Lorenzo's husband and wife:
http://www.diatrope.com/hockney.html

This college course has some interesting links:
http://www-psych.stanford.edu/~stork/Art216A.html

Ruth- if you are interested I came across a surrealist
site - contemporary artist - multi media that would
fit in with your theme --
Keith Wigdor
http://www.keithwigdorsurrealism.com/
Donna's wrok is mor tame:
http://www.donnamhirsekorn.keithwigdorsurrealism.com/

Judith

--- Ruth Wilson <Ruth.Wilson@dcsdk12.org> wrote:
> Before Halloween our department is going to
> create a multi media presentation for our students
> A sort of "Taste of the Arts" so that if they are in
> Ceramics they can see what Commercial Art is like
> or Photography, etc. Each of our art teachers will
> present

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department