Re: ANOTHER question for Elementay art teachers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 09:38:31 PDT

Thank you to all that answered my question about sending elementary work
home. I personally favor keeping the portfolio. Since we do so many
displays and have so many shows I worry that the best gets kept and the
worst goes home.

I also do not want to be put back into the position of doing "refrigerator
art." We have parent conferences twice a year and I know the elementary
teachers are always prepared to show and discuss student work -- but, oops,
nobody ever comes to see the art teacher.

If we are advocates that art does matter, then a portfolio of work that
shows growth and understanding, including written reflection is the best
advocate I have.
Thanks again for all your help.
Patty

P.S. to Carol who wrote: When you do an annual show, don't you have a lot of
work that is the same?
> Do you put a piece in from each child? I would like to give it a try some
> time, maybe this will be the year.

Every child is represented. Their interpretation of the given problems
excludes the sameness. Our district show and our building shows are the best
statement of the quality of our sequential curriculum. The objective of the
lesson is always displayed along with the child's "artist statement" (And
BTW, I'm usually most fascinated by the work of the 1st and 2nd graders, the
naive expression always catches my attention)

---