RE: Safety / Allergies

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 09:20:36 PDT

Tammy,

     You are exactly right children with allergies need to know the
signs of a problem and to speak up even defy adults if there is a
problem. If my Mom and Dad had not taught me to take matters into my own
hands I would have probably died in 3rd grade when the school refused to
call my mom about an allergic reaction (they thought I was
hyperventilating) or my Junior year when I had a second reaction 24
hours after my first reaction to peanut oil in the popcorn at a football
game. Both times my parents got me to the hospital just in time.

When you are told a child is allergic, ask the parent to describe the
reaction. For example when I touch peanut oil my palms turn bright red,
then I have trouble breathing. I crave caffeine when my allergy meds
need adjusting. The parent could tell you exactly what to watch for.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Herbert

No individual has any right to come into the world and go out of it
without leaving behind him distinct and legitimate reasons for having
passed through it.

- George Washington Carver