Re: Teaching in Arizona

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 23:36:53 PDT

Jeanne Mullendore wrote:
> Hi - I am working with a student in a college Secondary Content Methods
> class who will be receiving her art education degree in June 2004 from Mount
> Vernon Nazarene University here in Ohio. She also has a BFA from the
> Columbus College of Art and Design. What are her prospects in getting a
> teaching position in the Phoenix, AZ, area for next year? Anything special
> she should do to seek employment?

Jeanne,

I would encourage her to start getting some ESL or bilingual ed classes
on her transcript. Districts with a large number of English learners
must have teachers with the endorsement; new teachers must have the
provisional endorsement within 2-3 years of being hired (sorry, can't
remember the particulars), and the full endorsement within 4-5. She
should check with ADE to find out exactly what courses are required;
when I was working on mine, I had to have two years of a foreign
language as well as content classes.

She will also need a Reading Decoding class, and pass the test on the US
and AZ constitutions.

I would highly recommend she begin the process for getting her AZ
certificate NOW. So many teachers seek jobs here that being fully
certified, with at least some ESL classes, will give her an edge. THe
fingerprinting and background check take a while to complete. I don't
think applicants can be offered a contract unless they've cleared. Have
  her find out what the procedure is for getting those done out of state.

Maggie

---