Kay WalkingStick - Contemporary Native American

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 18:30:01 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

Thanks Ann for sharing Kay with me!

My list friend Ann Heineman went to the Eiteljorg
Museum in Indianapolis. She was really impressed with
the exhibits. One special exhibit is on weaving and
baskets(that one is over October 12) - the other
special exhibit is on Kay WalkingStick - contemporary
Cherokee artist. Knowing that the museum does not have
much online for their exhibits I went surfing for some
images to see what I was missing....Thought I would
share them with you. Some images are not ones you
might now show the wee ones - I did enjoy all of her
work. Much symbolism in her work (iconography).

Kay WalkingStick (some images not for your wee ones)
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/kay%20walkingstick.htm
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/ (navigate with the
images at bottom)
See also Tony Abeyta - collagraph prints:
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/tony%20abeyta.htm
This was the artist I used years ago for a Kachina
painting project I did with third graders. We read
Arrow to the Sun. I also used this artist:
Dan Lomahaftewa
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/dan%20lomahaftewa2.htm
Both of these artist are in a book I had on
contemporary Native American art. Nice silkscreen
prints by Susan Point:
http://www.rainmakerart.co.uk/susan%20point.htm

Back to Kay - interesting image -- not for your
kiddies though:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/teepee/smoke/walkingstick.htm

Check out Modern Warrior shirt - use this for your
Plains Indians clothing inspiration:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/teepee/smoke/spang.htm
Excellent site (good if you want your students to
think): Who Stole the Tee Pee
http://www.conexus.si.edu/teepee/home/index.htm (I
posted this over the summer too)

Kay image:
http://www.junekellygallery.com/walkingstick.htm

Kay WalkingStick page -- sparkles too folks (fancy
stuff - glitter!)
http://www.aap.cornell.edu/AapWeb/Art/Faculty/Walkingstick/walkingstick.htm
Amanda Linn if you are reading - here is Iconography,
too http://www.varoregistry.com/walkingstick/
"Kay WalkingStick's recent works are diptychs in which
the two parts relate in a non-formal manner. "I use
landscape as the context.... One side of the
painting represents immediate visual memory; the other
archetypal memory and both could be a stand-in for the
human body and soul" See all of the prints in this
exhibit by Master Printer Jack Lemon (he is
the printmaker - there are ten artists who
participated)
http://www.arts.arizona.edu/lastingimpressions/jacklemon.html
...creating Lasting Impressions, a portfolio of prints
by ten nationally recognized contemporary Native
American visiting artists. (I liked some of
the other ones better than Kay's)

example of Kay's diptychs:
http://www.msu.edu/~kamuseum/home/store/litho.html

Honoring Women:
http://www.lewallenart.com/artist_pages/walkingstick/Walkingstick_show.html
Some OK for the kiddies:
http://www.lewallenart.com/artist_pages/walkingstick/Walkingstick.html

I posted this site over the summer- What is Art?"
http://www.arthistory.sbc.edu/artartists/drawwalkingstick.html

Now this was worth the trip! "Talking Leaves" book (I
shared this exhibit many times):
http://www.conexus.si.edu/humor/exhibit/38.htm I'd
love to se the entire book.
Starts here - Indian Humor:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/humor/toc/index.htm

http://www.eiteljorg.org/ejm/home.asp
Eiteljorg Museum - not many images on the site.

IAD wants to know what you do with contemporaty Native
American Art - traditional art too.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department