Re: Question about paper size

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 08:52:48 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org>
> That is a good question. I too feel we waste so much of the
> sulphite paper. I have found that students have a difficult
> time completing work on 18"x24' so I cut down,and then waste
> some. I did use scraps this last week with Art I.
> Jackie Brewer (Aust)
**************************

I find this thread about wasting paper very interesting. Personally I find
the challenge of using ALL the leftover paper as fun and unique as doing the
actual project. I tend to dislike always using the standard cut sizes
because it gets boring and the excitement of a diff. size offers another
avenue for the artwork.

For example I've used the leftover white paper for thin, long pencil shading
studies with black const. paper origami frames. I've also used them for
watercolor studies. I've got a shelf in the artroom that has all sorts of
leftovers stacked in diff. sizes ready to be used for diff. projects.

All leftover const. paper is put in soda boxes for a torn project...organic,
torn animal pattern collages or making abstract letters for poster work.

One particular Op art project I like is done on triangle, round, square, or
oblong cut paper using the exact same square inch coverage. We even use math
to determine that all sizes have approx. the same square area in inches.
Great math connection. My only problem is displaying them on our website
'cause I don't know exactly HOW yet to put these shapes into Photoshop
Elements to make shaped jpegs. I'm working on it though. At the moment now
everything I show on the site is basically jpegged into rectangle or
square...blah.

I think all these diff. shaped art pieces (not always the rectangle) make
much better displays and draw in viewers quicker.

And...if you find you are cutting down artwork because kids don't paint to
the sides, then save the leftovers for paper collage or paper weaving. Even
scribbled stuff can make cool paper weavings. Toodles....Bunki

---