Re: Advice needed for a college art ed student!

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 08:20:47 PDT

Alissa, "finish you BS in Art Ed FIRST". You want to be able to be
employable first, in my opinion. I have a masters degree in Art Education,
K-12 and I am definitely "enjoying the passage of time", as James would say,
(I love that song... I love that whole album, or shall I say CD). I think
that the art ed degree will be more valuable and then you can work on the
other stuff. I have found that in the classroom that I learn alot about 3-D
from doing the projects with the "kids"! I build my confidence by trying
the 3-D project on the Junior High (I teach Junior and Senior High), and
then if it is successful, then I use it in High School. The Junior High age
is not so critical on their teachers. My confidence builds and then I try
High School. Anyway, the ELEMENTS of DESIGN and the principles are what we
use to create a great 3-D project! You oftentimes have no funding for the
complicated stuff, but Papier Mache' is fun and 3-D and "Wire sculptures"
are a blast and the computer staff at our school can provide the leftover
computer wire!!! Funding can interfere in what you are able to do with the
3-D aspects of the visual arts.

I hope this helps you,
Idus in southern Mississippi (about one hour from New Orleans)