Re: need a "timetakerupper" and help with troubled kids

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 07:33:50 PDT

Kristy, I don't have such intense problems, but our county is starting to
acquire a lot of special ed students from the New Orleans area and they can
usually do more than their special ed write-ups tell me they can do. I have
noticed that they can do an awful lot of stuff on their own! It is rather
gratifying to use their accomplishments as a "pat on my back" when I try to
encourage them to do things that others thought they were incapable of
doing! I know that I can always use a mental positive boost! If I were
you, I would use them as a personal challenge for myself and attempt to
learn loads of stuff, and appeal to every ounce of humanity that they have
in them! It is my view that God does not allow creations without a purpose,
therefore, we, the "so-called" NORMAL folks, are to gain much from these
unique and CHALLENGING kids!!! Don't give up or give-in, because these kids
are probably a result of their parents' generation and they are kids of
people who did a lot of drugs and alcohol and they have some real emotional
hang-ups to go along with each idiosyncrasy!!! This, unfortunately, is
probably the "wave of the future" and if we want to continue teaching we
must be able to handle these challenges. I am frightened at some of these
prospects, but I feel the need to be there to help these kids!!!
Hang-in-there!

Idus in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans)