on elementary schedules and sending work home

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 04:19:19 PDT

This year I have the best schedule I've had in years. I teach 28, 45 minute
classes a week ( I used to teach up to 35, but enrollment is down). Our
school day is from 8:20-3:50 and we get a 30 min. duty free lunch a day.
All teachers contracturally must get a certain number of minutes of prep.
time each week (not sure about the exact #) but it's allowed to be in ten
minute increments here and there. Time before students arrive and after
they leave is also counted. All the special areas also have 2 or 3 duties a
week. I teach three classes on Mon., plus 90 min. is reserved for working
on integrated projects in teacher's classrooms (however, I have not been
asked to do so yet. I am working on opening the channels of communication).
I teach six classes on Tues., Thurs., and Fri., and on Wed., seven.
Wednesday after school I have an art club from 3:30 to 5:30. I volunteer
for this, and we do community service projects like scenery for our musical,
as well as individual projects like ceramics. I have 16 sessions a year
with two different groups. One group/8 sessions in the Fall, and one
group/8 sessions in the winter. I have three 15 minute bus duties a week.
It works out that I teach or have duties for 23.25 hours a week, and have
planning for 11.75 hours a week.

I collect work for displays and the art show, but the rest I send home as it
is completed. Yes, some of it gets folded and jammed into backbacks, but I
think storing all that work would be difficult for me.

Leah

---