Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: need a "timetakerupper" that actually teaches art

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 20:56:38 PDT

>Well, I'm teaching my first ceramic lesson (slab "memento" boxes)
>while student teaching and I'm looking for something to do on the
>two days when their boxes will be firing in the kiln. It will be
>the last days that the kids have art before they begin their next
>"exploratory" class.

This web page is a group project on surrealism that can be introduced
as a learning experience rather than something to be fired. After
doing the work and learning the lessons the clay is not fired, but
used again. I would tell them in advance that the work is for
learning - not to be fired. After doing the work, I ask them to
explain how it felt and what they learned about their own creative
thinking. It can be a good discussion about how we get new ideas and
where our ideas come from for our art and in our lives. Art History
ideas are given in the lesson.

studio phone: 574-533-0171
"You can't never know how to do it before you never did it before."
... a kindergarten boy working with clay for the first time.