Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Storytelling-Quilts- African-Colonial

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 20:00:43 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

The topic of Colonial art and connections to African
slaves came. In doing some Internet searches, I found
that quiltmaking as we know it was not that common of
a craft in Colonial America (not really until
1830's)-yet quiltmaking does have roots in Africa.
There are many online resources for African Slave
Quilts (I did not list all of those here). I have
included links to Madafo - Storyteller - and his CD -
Along with a few links to history of African-American
quiltmaking - Colonial America - and two of my
African American Quiltmakers. I found lots more online
- but this should get you started weaving a tale that
will be memorable for your students.

YES! I am interested if anyone does a unit on this
topic... I have links galore! (some will be added to
Faith Ringgold lesson on IAD.

"In Africa, storytelling is a shared experience, a
time honored tradition that captures the imagination
of all ages, and draws all cultures together, to
listen, to each other. This nurturing process begins
at birth and continues from generation to generation."
"Madafo's exquisite storytelling speaks of those
Principles and Values which, through the generations
have enhanced understanding and celebration
of the human spirit."
Order CD:

Faith Ringgold:
Her Story in Text and Image

Talking Textiles:

Story Quilts and the Historical and Cultural Impact on
African Storytelling

Lesson Plan on Story Quilts:

Lesson Plan Stories in Quilts

Colonial Art Unit plan - even dyeing fabric for

More Faith Ringgold links:

Carolyn Mazloomi:

Africans In America - Good background material on
Colonial America through 1865

Slavery in the Colonial Era:

Artist-Archaeologist Shines New Light on Slave Life

African Quilting Traditions - just remember the myth
(Freedom quilt myth):
s/african.htm (add rest of URL)

See Fon and Cloth Communications:

Contemporary Fon Banners (Quilting technique)

Lots of links available on Harriet Powers:

More on the myths -- quiltmaking was not that common
until 1830's:
Colonial quilting history: (home page)

Colonial America Art and Architecture:

Colonial America Elementary Resources:

We have already had Slave Pottery posted. See lesson
on Incredible Art Department.

There are lots of good books out there too on this

If you are interested in receiving more links on this
topic let me know offlist (

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department