Teacher Certification

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 17:44:14 PDT

Recently a question was posed from a member of the list as to what to do
about about getting a BFA, Master's, certification?
I just found this information about the proposed changes to certification
for art in PA....
     I guess I better learn how to blow glass
Seems to me a pretty hefty request that one person be proficient enough in
all these things to be able to teach all these things...
I don't see this kind of content being taught to the university Art Ed
majors and I don't know how they will meet this certification with any kind
of substance that is translatable.
Patty

ART
Fine Arts Education is the organization of materials and media for two or
three-dimensional
visual affects that communicate ideas, express emotion, and are considered
primarily in
relation to aesthetic criteria for beauty or meaningfulness. Programs
generally describe
historic development, critical process, aesthetic qualities and creative
processes. Visual Arts is
the creation and perception of auditory, kinesthetic, and visual phenomena
which express
ideas and emotions in various forms leading each student to personalized
understandings and
processes appropriate for evaluating, using, creating, valuing, and
appreciating art.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate:
A person holding a valid PA certificate for The Arts is qualified to teach
Art courses,
humanities and multi-media design and programs in grades K through 12.
Certification Assignment:
A person holding a valid PA certificate for Art is qualified to teach Art
courses and content to include: crafts; ceramics; drawing; painting;
sculpture; fiber/textiles/weaving; glass; metal/jewelry; digital and basic
photography; basic graphics art design; printmaking; computer art; dynamic
media (web page designing and sound interface); art conservation; art
history; art management; art theory; art criticism; art techniques; studio
art; and, intermedia art (techniques and processes for expressing emotions,
ideas, or visions in 2 or 3 dimensions
using a variety of materials/media simultaneously).
Special Consideration:
An educator certified in this field may provide school staff development
services regarding
their collegial studies/skills.

---