Re: Hand made paper sculpture techniques?

---------

From: C Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 17:27:24 PDT

I have done papier mache mash and strips over a bowl and inside a bowl, and done plaster gauze strips and papier mache newspaper strips over a balloon. But these vases I saw were narrow at the opening and wide and round at the end, with no flat area to rest upon. It totally looked as it was done in one piece, as well, no seams at all, perfectly smooth. The paper on the vases was different for each and included natural materials like cattails, cedar, onion skins, bulb skins, etc. The artist who made them did a coil basket type stand for them and they rested on this stand. They were embellished with more coiling at the opening, or around the middle and pierced to anchor the coiling threads. I was more wondering how to adhere the mash to the balloon without flattening the bottom (I liked the clothes pin on a line idea with the filled muslin bag, same idea as the balloon) but without the mash sliding off the balloon from its weight before it dried.
Thanks for the links for papier mache and I am going to investigate this further by experimenting using my instant papier mache I have before I make hand made paper and see how it goes. I really want to make these! Maybe not with the kids, since I teach elementary, but I can see Christmas present for friends....

---