Aboriginal Art - Environmental - Science Integration (Michal)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 11:00:59 PDT

(Michal - this site has better information than my
book -- and better images)

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Vicki Leishman reminded me of a link she posted a
while back...updating my Aboriginal Art page is on my
to do list -- many links to check....
http://www.atsic.gov.au/tools/links_list.asp?Category=Arts

For what to do with the large cardboard tubes....

The Aboriginal Memorial of the Ramingining in Central
Arnhem Land has always intrigued me:
http://www.nga.gov.au/memorial/index.html
(read the warning - then click Site Map at the bottom
-- and be awed) I sent this link to a few list members
not to long ago - but am now exploring the site more
myself...It is a must see stop if you are thinking
about creating your own kind of "Memorial". Several
have suggested using Cardboard tubes from Carpet
supply stores -- to me, that is OK as long as you do
not just copy the Aboriginal art (smile - only the
Aboriginal people can make Aboriginal art - Only the
Aborginal people are to use their symbols. Do teach
the meanings).

How about tying in science - animals - environment
-Click on Species -- learn about some of the
animals...To some members, I suggested doing poles for
animals of their region - or for endangered
species. This idea would be appropriate (and they even
have Fish shown - my favorite)See Plants, too
(gorgeous!) (To navigate -- click on the little arrows
to the right - then click on the word) I love the
lizards too! Snakes! Mammals! No need to make a
PowerPoint (referring back to warning) - just use this
site. Science connections! click on Environments.....
Lots of Social Studies....
Language Arts (read the stories)

This is just one of many links to explore from this
long list:
http://www.atsic.gov.au/tools/links_list.asp?Category=Arts

IAD is interested in your Aborignal Art lessons (Dot
painting is already on the site - but I can add to it)

If anyone would like to hear the views on how to teach
Aborignal art from Vicki -let me now and I will
forward her message to you. Yes - teaching Aboriginal
art of Australia has it do's and dont's too.

Enjoy!

Judith

=====
Judith Decker