Re: Encouraging words - some phrases

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 08:39:21 PDT

Encouraging Words:

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in
pictures of silver" Proverbs 25:11

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with
an open one." -Malcome S. Forbes

I hope we can all learn to make our words golden with
kids. Ken Schwab - you are wonderful.

While not all art teacher phrases-- here is a list:
http://www.noogenesis.com/malama/more_encouraging_words.html

Here is a list that KIDS came up with (might be worth
a try):
http://www.noogenesis.com/malama/encouraging_words.html

Sal - if you are reading - this will help you with
Character Education:
http://www.noogenesis.com/malama.html
(this does have a list of discouraging words - but
certainly not the one Leslie was talking about -
Leslie still send your list to me) Sal - I found lots
more good stuff on Character Ed.

100 Ways to Praise a Child:
http://www.sayno.com/child.html (take your pick)
http://bissells.com/library/miscellaneous/100ways.htm
http://www.ausheart.com.au/fathers/resources/100-ways.rtf
(for you to print out)
In Spanish:
http://internationalcenter.ky.net/100waystopraisea.html

Here are some encouraging words for YOU:
http://www.iloveteaching.com/motivating/encourage.htm
I liked the poem.

This site has some good tips for new teachers:
http://www.iloveteaching.com/
Some good plans here:
http://www.educate.org.uk/teacher_zone/classroom/art/index.htm
Found from this page:
http://educationgo.stormpages.com/professionaldevelop.html

This is just for me - you can read it if you want:
Don't let our own weaknesses blind us to the strengths
of others. To be a positive, upbeat and up-building is
not a character flaw! It is well worth our while, and
a tremendous service to take the time to see others
for the treasure they really are. The very thing that
make them appear "of no account" to the uncaring,
un-seeing eye, may in fact turn out to be a pearl of
great price!

The schools have a tremendous job to offer the world:
a respect for the significance of each individual, a
significance based not on that person's productivity
or beauty or skills, but on his or her inherent value
in the eyes of God.

Here is an idea that might help boost morale in your
building?
http://www.education-world.com/a_admin/admin308.shtml
Start an "Encouraging Words" chain. Use a computer to
design and print special cards, or purchase card stock
and attach a small apple sticker to each card. The
principal will begin the chain by sending the first
five cards to five deserving faculty members. The next
week, the principal places a blank "Encouraging Words"
card in the mailbox of each teacher who received one
the week before. Each of those teachers sends an
"Encouraging Words" card to another of their
colleagues. And the cycle continues… Include the
entire staff -- don't forget custodians, cafeteria
workers, teacher assistants, bus drivers, and others
-- in this project. You might even attach to each card
an apple sticker that still has on its backing. As
teachers drop "Encouraging Words" cards in their
colleagues' mailboxes, they affix the sticker next to
the person's name on their mailbox. That way, teachers
can see who has not yet been recognized; all staff
members should be recognized once before anybody
receives a second recognition.

Well... I have given up on finding some more specific
Art Ed pages on this topic....but I sure did find
oodles of sites that would help out parents...and that
would make all of your jobs easier. Sigh....Can't
educate the parents - so work on the kiddles.
BTW...Hubby is certainly enjoying teaching kids who
have parents who support the school. This change of
scenery has done him a world of good....but now the
new district is talking about cuts....and we know what
that will mean.

Judith

(Digest users - I did figure out what I was doing
wrong - and will send in plain text from now on - sorry)

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Jdecker@woh.rr.com