Encouraging words (Katherine -Leslie -Jane-Michal -All)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 06:52:38 PDT

Dear Friends in Art Education,

Incredible Art Department and Katherine have the same
goals. I have asked Leslie to provide her entire list
of "discouraging words" - so we can tweak them all (I
have to be honest - I never heard that term used
before - so did not know exactly how to respond with
what encouraging word would be - I was pretty close).
I have also "talked" with Katherine to see if she will
share her articles with me to put on Incredible Art
Department. I do not subscribe to School Arts Magazine
(Katherine - I am interested in both columns you
mentioned -- Many users of the site do not get School
Arts Magazine).

If all art teachers would/could learn the "art of
encouraging words" - then MAYBE folks wouldn't have so
much trouble with students rushing through projects.
Personally, I never had any trouble with kids hurrying
to get done. I think it is these "rush - rush -
projects gotta get them done in 30 minutes" that
causes this problem. I was lucky at my school in that
respect. The elementary teachers did do projects that
required time. However, the elementary teachers did
not know the art of encouraging words. Two of them
were "perfectionists" (not in a good way). Oh yes,
there was beautiful work coming out of their
programs....but there was also a lot of kids coming
out with the attitude that "Art *S*s" (that S word I
hate - that rhymes with trucks).

Once I get the list of discouraging words - I will
turn it over to all lists for ways to turn this
around......one child at a time.

Thanks for bringing this topic up Leslie,

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department