Re: Discouraging words

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (Jane_Altshuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 04:54:59 PDT

Encouraging words do not use things like good better not great, etc. They
are more like observations - "your picture shows that you were thinking
about composition. One part that may need more thought is the edges -
look how x artist brought his picture all the way out to the edges. Maybe
this will give you some idea of how to address your edges."

or

"It looks like you edges got a little worn as you were working on this.
My thought is to trim them on the paper cutter. Do you have any other
ideas?"

I know it sounds ridiculous, but once you have learned this kind of
"teacher language" you will see how encouraging it is. Remember that the
route of the word is courage, and that is what we are trying to give to
our students. Jane

---