Discouraging words

---------

From: Lesley Glendenning (glendenning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 04:17:31 PDT

I received a list of encouraging and discouraging phrases the other day that
has me discouraged. Two of the phrases that stick out in my mind the most
as discouraging phrases are..."You can do better." and "That looks good but
the edges are ragged."
Any recommendations as to alternatives because I don't know how to change
those phrases into something seen as positive without losing more quality in
kid's work. When you see a kid scribble to get through an assignment, what
do you say to them or do you just let it go? I teach a lot of the younger
kids and grades mean nothing to them at this point. Any suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lesley

---