Re: need a "timetakerupper" and help with troubled kids

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 21:48:46 PDT

Quick thoughts
Make the bully your assistant. Give him extra attention that is sincere.

Give him a to do list to help you.Tell him how much you appreciative his
help.
Each 1 to 2 week/s have an evaluation of his effort as your assistant and
discuss the positve.

Give each student a chore to help you.
Those kids need to feel successful.
They need some one to look them in the eye and talk to them and listen.

As a class talk about respect and effort.
Talk about the rewards for their behavior.

Put them on a 100 point effort system each kid has 5 pts when he/she comes
in the room. When you walk around the room tell them their points.
Oh dear you have a a zero , how are you going to change it .
at the end of class give them a plus(5) or check (3) or a zero.
At 100 points the student gets :
his worst grade erased
30 minutes on the computer
 permission to bring a snack and drink to class
or ?
At 500 points the student gets a ?????

Sara

...any suggestions on how to get a kid (the bully) with a consistently
negative attitude who slops through his work just to get done to ....I don't
know... change? or at least cooperate?

---