RE: more safety concerns

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 20:28:23 PDT

Linda in NC wrote:

> An excellent resource on safety in the art room is Classroom Guide to Safety
> in the Visual Arts by Debra L. Oltman. The first edition was published by the
> Pennsylvania Dept. of Education in 1990. North Carolina purchased the
> copyright to produce 3000 copies. They say no additional copies can be made
> without permission of the author, but that is all the information I have on
> it. Perhaps a websearch would find something.

Debra Oltman is a colleague and friend of mine, in fact I replaced her in
the high school art department. Her book is an excellent resource and I
think our district was at the forefront of safety issues because of her
efforts. I will ask her what the current status is for obtaining her book.

I think there is a line to take between paranoia and true safety concerns.
Deb's book covers the true concerns. I would advise you to take notice of
the Safety Sheets that come with hazardous products. By law they should be
displayed or readily at hand. Sax and Blick are the only companies I know
that automatically send these.
Rubber cement should not be used in any school, anything that sprays is a
potential hazard - fixative is gobulules of glue that sticks to your lungs
and there are still plenty of glazes out there with lead in them.
I am watching the construction of my new building. Last week I saw the
ventilation units installed --- they are all over the place and I am so
happy. I have spent 10 years in a photo lab that has no ventilation.
Please don't play fast and loose with any materials. I fear we have become a
society that can not tolerate much more invasion of our lungs. Don't
underestimate the reactions that the little ones may have.

Patty
who used to mistake her coffee cup for the thinner jar when she was oil
painting and still drink the coffee

---