Re: Advice needed for a college art ed student!

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 20:39:40 PDT

With the NCLB stuff, we have been questioned as to whether we are " highly
qualified" teachers--specifically do we have a degree in our area or
"just"
a teaching degree. I would definitely get the degree in art and then get
the credential. I think in the future it will be required. Many states
make you to have a degree and get the credential as a 5th year. If you
want to teach secondary this will almost be a requirement. Our district
would like to have all the teachers get a masters or board certif.
because it looks good on our stats. The old thinking (which is probably
still true in most places) is that districts want cheap new teachers and
if you have a masters to begin with, you're too expensive. Therefore you
would get your BFA, get a job and quickly get your masters and move across
the pay scale. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #