RE: Advice needed for a college art ed student!

---------

From: Puhl, Kristen K (puhlk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 18:08:11 PDT

Alissa--

I'm currently student teaching, but I decided to add on a BFA to my BS for the fun of it somewhere along the way-- I've completed my studio credits, and after student teaching I'll have completed my BS credits, so I'll graduate in December with both degrees.

I think it worked out for me, and I bet it would for you, too. Like someone mentioned, going back to school while teaching would probably be difficult, and I appreciate all of the extra experience I've gotten from my extra studio classes. The degree in itself might not be worth much (debatable) but it forces you to take those extra classes. I would recommened taking extra ceramics and metals courses--those skills come in handy in an art room. I feel I skimped on those, and I'm having to learn while I'm student teaching.

Figure out how to work a kiln and cast rings on your own while you have somebody to teach you!! I took extra sculpture classes that were very conceptual, and while I feel I improved as an artist, they weren't very practical for teaching. I also took lithography...even though I can guarantee you that I'll never teach it...schools can hardly afford paint, much less a thousand dollar stone...what was I thinking?!!!

Kristy