Re: Advice needed for a college art ed student!

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 10:02:53 PDT

I live in PA where we must continually collect professional development
hours in order to maintain our certification. This applies even after we
have met the requirements for so-called permanent certification. Even if a
person is not employed as a full-time teacher, the professional development
requirements must be met every five years. So, if Missouri's requirements
are anything like PA's, I would get my BFA first. I believe getting a BFA
is very helpful, especially if you have your extra courses in a subject that
the school that is hiring needs. Being an expert is always a good thing.
Oh, and if you plan to get an MFA, I would also do it before beginning
teaching if you can afford it. I earned my masters degree in painting, but
couldn't pursue an MFA unless I took a leave of absence from teaching.

Leah