Re: parent favorite

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:52:55 PDT

parent favoriteMy fourth grade students just completed a very successful
abstract oil pastel painting. First we learned about continuous lines, and
balance within a composition. Then we used Elmer's 3-D paint (really just
colored glue) to trace over a continuous line drawn on construction paper.
Students chose the color of the paper and the glue. Next we learned some
vocabulary: abstract art, non-objective art, texture, and value. We then
looked at various reproductions of artwork, picking out which were abstract,
non-objective, realism, etc. and why. After that we focused on the work of
Joan Miro and pointed out his use of color, color mixing/blending, and
textured areas. Finally we went back to our continuous line and tried to
find an abstract yet recognizable subject within the composition. To earn
the top grade, students were to cover the whole paper with pastel,
mix/blend/layer their colors, add details textures and patterns to some
areas, and give the work a title. The titles were so inventive and almost
as abstract as the paintings (my favorite,The Pretzel Elephant)! We sealed
the oil pastels with acrylic polymer and the results looked like real oil
paintings. I've heard rave reviews from parents, teachers, and students
alike. Even my kindergartners keep asking what the work is and how it was
made.

Leah