RE: more safety concerns

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 07:10:06 PDT

The sheets to which you refer are commonly called MSDS sheets (material safety data sheets, I believe). The law is OSHA and they are the ones who inspect and enforce it. I am required to have MSDS sheets on everything I use-even cooking oil,etc. Sometimes they can be hard to get. However, major vendors, like SAX will provide them if you ask. Some companies have them on their websites.

Interestingly, OSHA is really more concerned with workers' safety than the kids'. A school can be fined big bucks if found in violation.

An excellent resource on safety in the art room is Classroom Guide to Safety in the Visual Arts by Debra L. Oltman. The first edition was published by the Pennsylvania Dept. of Education in 1990. North Carolina purchased the copyright to produce 3000 copies. They say no additional copies can be made without permission of the author, but that is all the information I have on it. Perhaps a websearch would find something.

Linda in NC