Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

"Freedom" quilts

From: Samantha Wilmoth (phoenixfire_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 00:07:29 PDT

Hello all :)
I was going to go into the so called Freedom Quilts with my students last year,but after researching it, i decided not to. Here are a few of the many links that i found stating that this a myth brought on after the publication of Hidden in Plain View.

One of the sites I found stated that there were enough real and documented acts of courage and creative thinking on the part of the African Americans during this turbulent time, that it was a concern that perpetuating this myth would detract from these actual events.
Quilting is still a wonderful project to do with students though! I would just advise extreme caution in teaching it as a factual component of the Underground Railroad.