Re: Native American Art Questions

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 15:27:57 PDT

I'm also looking for some information...
I printed out a page from a website about making
"Native American rattles" - in which one would
wrap a Y-shaped stick with yarn and tie a string with
beads, etc. across the two top branches.
Does anyone know where this kind of rattle
originated and if it was a toy or had some other
significance?
Thanks,
Deborah

> > My questions on making Talking Sticks:
> >
> > Does anyone know if the Native Americans would view
> > this as disrespectful to their culture? I found
> > references to Talking Sticks in other cultures too.
> >
> > Does anyone know what tribes began the use of
> > Talking
> > Sticks? I found some by the Cherokee...and Northwest
> > coast. Anyone know where the practice originated?

---