Re: computer tech help

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:41:32 PDT

Dear Sharon,
In order for the students' experience to be as pleasant as possible, get a
faster computer with larger hard drive, lots of memory, and at least a CD
burner. Computer graphics programs demand lots of RAM, a fast processor to
do the computations,and the space to store the created images. I found
Photoshop Elements 2 to be perfectly adequate and much more user friendly
than its big brother. Buy some blank cd's to back up images to. Painter is a
wonderful program (there also is Painter classic that comes bundled with
Wacom Graphire tablets- a great buy in itself. For a digital camera, I would
recommend one that uses Compact Flash media - a common rather inexpensive
format. I have found the Canon cameras to be very user-friendly and durable.
A digital camera should also have an extra battery, tripod, case, and an
extra memory card. Do some research on the camera before you buy.
http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com have some helpful
reviews on current cameras. Even if you plan on ordering the camera online,
try to go to a store and see how the camera feels to you - the size,
location of the zoom and other buttons, brightness of the screen, and the
ease of accessing settings such portrait, red-eye reduction, and high-speed
subjects. Navigating around the camera (pictures in playback mode) and
settings should be fairly straitforward. Get at least a 3 megapixel camera
with at least a 3x zoom.
For printers, watch out for the really inexpensive printers. They are
cheaply made and use very expensive ink. Epson, Canon, and HP all make good
photo-quality printers. Check on the cost per page - as the ink cost will
quickly overrun the initial cost of the printer. Buy a USB cable (they don't
come with the printers), some photo quality paper for special projects, and
lots of spare ink.

Have fun!
Melissa
On 9/30/03 3:25 PM, "shinds@seidata.com" <shinds@seidata.com> wrote:

> Calling all Computer Experts,
>
> I just received a grant for grant for $ 2,500.00. This is to set up a
> computer art program for 8th grade students. Needless to say my school
> is behind the times.
> What types of software do I need ? Are there any good books are
> resoures availabe ?
> Although I am excited about this new challenge , I am also a novice.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated .
>
> Thank yo in advance,
>

> Sharon

---