Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: computer tech help

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:41:32 PDT

Dear Sharon,
In order for the students' experience to be as pleasant as possible, get a
faster computer with larger hard drive, lots of memory, and at least a CD
burner. Computer graphics programs demand lots of RAM, a fast processor to
do the computations,and the space to store the created images. I found
Photoshop Elements 2 to be perfectly adequate and much more user friendly
than its big brother. Buy some blank cd's to back up images to. Painter is a
wonderful program (there also is Painter classic that comes bundled with
Wacom Graphire tablets- a great buy in itself. For a digital camera, I would
recommend one that uses Compact Flash media - a common rather inexpensive
format. I have found the Canon cameras to be very user-friendly and durable.
A digital camera should also have an extra battery, tripod, case, and an
extra memory card. Do some research on the camera before you buy. and have some helpful
reviews on current cameras. Even if you plan on ordering the camera online,
try to go to a store and see how the camera feels to you - the size,
location of the zoom and other buttons, brightness of the screen, and the
ease of accessing settings such portrait, red-eye reduction, and high-speed
subjects. Navigating around the camera (pictures in playback mode) and
settings should be fairly straitforward. Get at least a 3 megapixel camera
with at least a 3x zoom.
For printers, watch out for the really inexpensive printers. They are
cheaply made and use very expensive ink. Epson, Canon, and HP all make good
photo-quality printers. Check on the cost per page - as the ink cost will
quickly overrun the initial cost of the printer. Buy a USB cable (they don't
come with the printers), some photo quality paper for special projects, and
lots of spare ink.

Have fun!