Re: black on black pottery

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 05:07:49 PST

I have always been told that smoke in your electric kiln is damaging to
the element wires. ALso, it creates a really nasty environment indoors,
as no vent fan can really remove all that smoke. I sometimes have my kids
stuff hollow forms with newspaper until they start to get stiff enough to
put a hole in the form and remove the newspaper, then replace the piece of
clay that was removed. Occasionally someone will leave some paper in
there and it really burns your eyes if it gets too smokey. I have my kiln
in another room with a vent fan, but once when that happened, smoke odor
filled not only my room but the music rooms and cafeteria! They were going
to call the fire department when I finally figured out that it wasn't only
my room that was suffering and called the office to tell them not to
worry...it's newspaper in the kiln. I'm now very careful to remove it
all.

Linda in Houston, wearing a tall blue "Hairspray" type beehive wig today!
Happy Halloween!!

---