Re: metal ideas

---------

From: wjb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 16:41:39 PST

> Can someone think of ideas using metal and wire with cold connections. I
> would like sculpture or jewelry ideas.

Hi Barbara,

I did rivets with my HS--(low level) jewelry class.
We used scrap metal, drilled holes, wrapped with wire, or wove it into the
piece.
They had to come up with a design that used these 3 techniques. Be sure to
use a punch to make a dent in the metal so that the drill bit will not slide
over the surface. You could also use the cold connection with plastics. Over
the years, we used both media for fine art , and also for figure construction
out of metal, wire and Plastic. The rivet allowed the figures to move. Kids
loved this assignment. they could use them as pins,mount on boards as a table
sculpture. etc etc. The hard part was getting them to measure the river
material so that when pounded down it did not protrude too far from the
opposite side. They used a milimeter ruler and measured the side of the 2
metals . (as in a stack), then added a milimeter on both ends. We used a ball
peen hammer to flatten the rivet, and a ball punch to round out the river
neatly. The possibilities are endless. Have you thought about colored wire?
Hope this helps,
Gelato

---