What do teachers make?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 15:47:16 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
 Next time some dumb person asks you what you make as a teacher, you can
tell them this....
 *****************************

  What Teachers Make:
 The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
 One man decided to explain the problem with education. He argued,
 "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option
 in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner
 guests that it's true what they say about teachers: "Those who can,
 do. Those who can't, teach."

 To corroborate, he said to another guest, "You're a teacher, Susan. Be
 honest. What do you make?"

  Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You
  want to know what I make?
  "I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can
  make a C+ feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel
  like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or her very
  best."
 "I can make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.
  "I can make parents tremble in fear when I call home."
  "You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder."
  "I make them question."
  "I make them criticize."
  "I make them apologize and mean it."
  "I make them write."
  "I make them read, read, read."
  "I make them spell over and over and over again, until they never
 misspell."
  "I make them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your
 heart."

  "You want to know what I make?"
  "I make a difference. What about you?"

---