Re: art/science presentations

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 04:23:20 PST

on 10/29/02 9:57 PM, Sears, Ellen at ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us wrote:

> I had the opportunity last weekend to give three presentations at the NSTA
> regional science conference. All about visual arts in the science
> classroom

ellen, you might be interested to know about Robert and Michele
Root-Bernstein who presented at the MAEA conference this past week. He is a
professor in physiology at MSU. their fascinating presentation was about the
"tools" of creativity that are common to both artists and nobel prize
winners - the creme de la creme of all scientists. their book is titled
"Sparks of Genius: the 13 thinking tools of the world's most creative
people" ISBN 0-618-12745-3.

also we had a session by Dr. Vilayanur Ramachandran - from California i
think (not in my notes!) who spoke about "what neurology can tell us about
human nature, art, and the architecture of the mind." he particularly
focused on his study of synesthetes - those folks who see numbers, letters,
etc. in color - and how our brains respond to art.

both fascinating speakers - if you have a chance to hear them, GO!
linda in michigan

---