RE: Inventions that changed "art"-- Help

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 05:40:13 PST

> My favorite quote about technology is "Technology is only technology to
> those who were born before it was invented".

Amen -

Also - maybe just 'new' to someone - I read the book 'The Mechanical Turk'
this summer - about automata or a machine that could play chess against
anyone - a figure dressed in Turkish attire... technology - only it was 400
years ago.... and the little 'boy' that could play a flute and the duck
that would 'eat' and lay an egg..... too cool....

I heard David Sousa - the brain guy - this summer talking about keeping up
with technology to keep brains sharp - I think we sometimes view technology
(along with so many other things) through a small window and can't see
everything.

How about materials that were developed for one purpose and artists adopted
and adapted- like dichroic glass for the space shuttles now used in glass
sculptures, cold glass and hot glass techniques - or the material for
airplane wings that Calder was able to incorporate into his mobiles....

Technology - the application of science, especially to industrial or
commercial objectives...
the body of knowledge available to a civilization that is of use in
fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and extracting or
collecting materials...

Ellen

---