Re: Inventions that changed "art"-- Help

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 20:00:15 PST

> From: Woody Duncan <wduncan@kc.rr.com>

> The real question is not which inventions, but in what manner did these
> impact art ? This is a very interesting idea to explore.
> Woody in KC

Exactly , Woody. Before we get into a long list of "tools" think about
what really changed thinking process. Certainly photography changed all
notions about representation.
 Before the 20th century, where was sculpture but in clay and stone?
 What was the impact of the assembly line/mass production?
 How does instant communication impact?
 The whole notion of virtual reality is yet to be explored

Make a distinction between what changed process and thinking. Tubed paints
took the artist out of the studio and created a new genre. Magic markers
didn't change any thinking.

This is a great question for insight.

Patty
P.S. as a Star Trek fan, I refuse to die before I can "teleportate."
Is not the greatest "invention" the freedom to imagine?

---