Re: Self Portraits for HS

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 15:01:05 PST

Self portrait idea:
Have kids stretch and pull on their faces, or make a face with a very
scary or extreme emotion...something tha distorts their face. Photograph
them. Then use their photos do a lesson on proportional drawing, right
brained drawing skills from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, etc.
Tonal drawing works well for this, too. YOu could do it with a flashlight
and distort that way, too. I am going to post my fifth graders faces
soon....they really look like the photos, and they are a completely
captivating and hilarious exhibit. You can use Leonardo Davinci's
portraits of grotesques if you want to back it up with something. Other
artists you could use??? I know there is someone who makes clay busts
with extreme faces on them. Any ideas for other artists who do this? I
am always amazed by this lesson....kids who can't draw very well with
realism do GREAT on this lesson because it forces them to really analyze
shapes, textures, values, proportion...everything is distorted and can't
be idealized. That, to me is the best thing to get from Betty Edward's
book. Take away they familiar...draw an upside down image, distort
something, draw the negative space, use the proportion tricks in the book.
 They really work. THis lesson, though extremely intimidating looking,
becomes a real "aha" lesson for many kids.

---