Re: Self Portraits for HS

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 12:01:27 PST

One idea that I gleaned from our conference was to take the student's
picture with a digital camera and blow it up. Cover with tracing paper and
have them draw using simply cross-hatch with ink They can't erase and the
tracing paper is just thick enough to hide most of the details. We had an
interesting debate over the question on whether the great masters traced or
used "tricks".
~Michal

> Does anyone have any good ideas for self portraits with Intermediate High
> School Art students? I have my beginning students do them from a mirror
in
> pencil with a non-objective colored background expressing themselves.
Last
> year, I had the intermediate students draw self portraits from a mirror
> using any media and then included a collaged background expressing
> themselves. I wasn't too thrilled with the results of that lesson, so I
am
> looking for other ideas for this year's intermediate self portraits. Any
> ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

---