KAEA Conference

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 11:01:16 PST

Dear Michel,

Thanks for the kind words! We are all tired but happy after the KAEA State Conference. I didn't get to attend your presentations (I only was able to go to one session the whole time!), but I know from the advance registration that they were well attended. I also was the successful bidder of your Prairie Curriculum from the silent auction.

I wish I could take credit for the success of the conference, but I was only one of three site coordinators--the "Three Wise Women", Mary Sue Foster and Peggy Furan did at least as much as I did, probably more. Plus we had a small, but dedicated committee. We were fortunate to have an excellent conference facility in the Rhatigan Student Center and McKnight Art Center at Wichita State University, as well as lots of support from the faculty and staff of WSU. And the main reason for the success of the conference were the outstanding presentations from our KAEA members, such as ArtsEdNetters, Michel Austin, Woody Duncan and Rosie Riordan. Hope I'm not missing anyone Michel?

We also had an inspiring keynote speaker in Dr. Jane Bates, professor from Towson University and author of the textbook, Becoming An Art Teacher. As much as we love this textbook, the author is even more awesome. She makes clear so many questions I have wrestled with over my 30 year career as an art teacher.

We have learned from some real conference pros--Sharon Wagner, Julie Baldwin and Kim Schneweis from Hays, KS and Michelle Ramirez and Carrie Mantooth in Garden City, KS. Next year's group is much more organized than we were at this point last year. Their theme is "First Things First--Back to the Basics" and their logo incorporates primary colors and geometric shapes. I'm ready to buy the T-shirt and apron right now! Their heads are Brad Anderson from Kansas Wesleyan, Nancy Blanks from Salina HS and Connie Burket from the Kansas Alliance for Arts Education. I can already tell that their conference is going to be very well-planned. I believe that it is going to be the first weekend in November, but I'm not sure the date is set in concrete yet. For the first time in a very long time it will be a Sat/Sun conference instead of Fri/Sat.

So Michel--be thinking of what you want to present next year!

---