1st grade drawing people

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 05:13:34 PST

I need some tips on teaching "drawing people" with first graders. I want to
teach them about using shapes to draw the people instead of making stick
people. I'm not sure I really want to draw examples myself in class-- I
end up either drawing something to hard for them to do, or I dumb down the
drawing to where it looks like a silly copy of a kid style drawing. I don't
want to give them the idea that there is a right/ wrong way to draw people, or
end up with a lot of stylized the drawings they tend to do- know what I mean?
Should the kids take turns posing as the model? Do you have any suggestions
on artist to look at- for east to understand drawings of people?
Thanks!

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---