Re: Can we talk?

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 06:40:19 PDT

Michele, I was shocked also when one of my students
expressed the same issue. 11's and 111's are on a
project in 2D where they have to do a piece reflecting
what they want in their children's lives that is
missing from theirs. One senior is doing hers on
pressure, she even cried (gentle tears, not sobs!) as
we talked about it. Some would say this kind of
pressure is good, and they set kids up to be in this
situation to "get ready for real life". Parents agree.
All I can say is: now I remember why I did not pursue
the "big bucks" job!! Mind you teaching art has
pressures I was not aware of, but the students
associate pressure with high money jobs. Wonder why
they loose interest or turn to drugs? The preview
bites. Kara Jo is sitting at her table and drawing. I
told her to just draw. I gave her a 9x13 piece of
white drawing paper, told her not to think about
composition and just doodle. Her pictures were stars,
hearts, vanishing point staircases, bowling pins,
etc.. It is going to be her piece, she is doing great.
No pressure. I love my job :)
Cindi