Re: Early American Artists

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 03:21:01 PDT

> Do look at Audubon - the bird and mammal pictures were pretty
> early, I believe.
> Sue E. Stewart
> Sumner High School

forgot abotu Audubon....duh, and here I was a wildlife artist professionally
for near 20 years prior to plein air painting. One bit of interesting info
on Audubon though that many do not know, in lieu of his being honored with
the Audubon society and all bird lovers. In order to get many of the close
up illustrations that he did, he shot hundreds and hundreds of birds. He
often had to shoot quite a few of the same species as well because the
pellets often mangled the anatomy and he needed several for comparison.
Also explains why some of his illustrations shows some of the birds in
strange contorted positions.

Of course, if the Audubon Society released that information, or many of its
members knew that...they certainly would change their name! hahaha....life
is an irony!
peace,

Larry S.

---