Re: Early American Artists

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 07:31:34 PDT

   Hi Sal,

       Though few individual artist names come to mind (although I think
members of the Peale family did still lifes,) an exploration of early
American architecture (for example tie in a study of the House of the Seven
Gables with American author Nathaniel Hawthorne,) and furniture/ home crafts
would be exciting for the children. Also, weathervane designs are
fascinating. Not sure if the trompe l'oeil painters were working before the
Civil War, but that is another style topic that could be explored.

                               Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                               Art teacher K-5, retired.

In an effort to integrate art into the regular classroom I have been asked
to introduce early American artists...pre civil war. I've done some research
and they all seem to be portraits or landscapes. Are they all like this? Is
there anything different?

---