New Curricula on getty.edu

---------

From: Mark Stone (mstone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 14:24:34 PDT

Colleagues:

Last week the Getty launched some exciting new resources for teachers on
getty.edu.

Go to http://www.getty.edu/education/ to view two online curricula around
the Getty Museum's collection that we hope will help you incorporate the
visual arts into your classes.

The first is a full curriculum resource on the photography of Dorothea
Lange, whose photographs of migrant workers and the unemployed have become
symbols of the Great Depression. In parallel with our current exhibition
on Lange, the twelve lessons in this curriculum were co-written with Los
Angeles-area school teachers. The lessons also have background information
on Lange, U.S. History, social documentary photography, a timeline,
bibliography, and more.

The second resource features lessons developed by Los Angeles elementary
teachers who participated in the Getty Museum's Art & Language Arts
program. This two-year professional development program helps elementary
teachers use works of art in the Getty's collection to teach language
acquisition skills.

These new resources are part of the Getty's continuing effort to make our
collections a rich resource for teachers and students. We are eager for
your feedback and hope that you will share your thoughts with us in this
email thread right here on the ArtsEdNet list. Please let us know what
works and what needs improvement.

Thank you very much,
Mark

---