Re: advice on flipbooks?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 05:05:29 PDT

This was my first year doing flip books, and I learned a few things. For
one, I have a number of Art Bins, which are similar to small fishing tackle
boxes. Important to keep them all together as a class in one box (in my
case I teach K-12). I used clips from the office used for reports, which
was easier than trying to staple too many pages.

I ordered a video on Animation which helped generate ideas, and emphasize
steps which we watched first....and some parts more than a few times.

I took copy paper, (typing), and cut them up on my room paper cutter about
4" x 5" and each student was encouraged to draw between 24 to 30 pages. It
takes six pages minimum to introduce words/text that can be clearly seen, so
use that rule for other important moves as well.

I agree about trying to keep it simple. Many kids want it complicated. I
live in the northwoods of a national forest, so some boys for example wanted
to do 4whl drive trucks jumping mounds of dirt. Some turned out quite
nice...but minimize "the stuff" they want to add. A balloon rising, then
popping is simple. An interesting challenge is to have a ball bouncing
up...off the sides, hitting bottom...etc., yet not too complicated.

Make sure you demonstrate, (perhaps on a large newsprint) the idea of moving
paper over and tracing with a small alteration. Do a few sheets to get the
idea. Have them number them in an upper corner or somewhere that will be
covered by the clip in case they all fall to the floor, then ordering them
is much easier.

The best ones are colorful. My students lightly drew with pencil, went over
with the fine tip Sharpie markers, and then colored with color pencils.
Good luck....
Larry S

---